Self-Care and Deep Tissue Techniques for the Hands, Wrists & Forearms with Brian Utting & Rebecca Norton
Instructor: Brian Utting, LMT and Rebecca Norton, OT/LMT/Certified Hand Therapist; NCBTMB #451040-09
"This was such a great combination of information: getting a thorough understanding of hand mechanics, anatomy, and care; and then using this information to learn deep massage techniques for the forearms and hands. I learned valuable self-care techniques that will allow me to work without injury, and also exquisite forearm and hand massage that I can use with my clients." - Andi Pihl
Our arms and hands are tough, dextrous, and exquisitely sensitive. As bodyworkers, we often use our hands and thumbs as our primary instruments, and we use them intensively. But we receive little training on how to protect them (particularly the thumbs), setting the stage for pain, injury, and arthritis. In the first portion of the class, Rebecca Norton (OT, LMT, and Certified Hand Therapist) will review hand and thumb anatomy and common mistakes that massage practitioners make. You will then learn how to consciously use your hands and thumbs in a way that protects your joint integrity while increasing the potency and focus of your work. You will also learn exercises, stretches and self-care for the hands and thumbs, as well as treatment strategies for working with clients who have arthritis in their hands and fingers.
In the afternoon, we will focus on muscle-specific Deep Tissue techniques for the arms and hands. As massage therapists, they are perhaps our primary vehicle for sensation and communication, and we use them (and often overuse them) intensively. Our clients' hands and arms often take a beating as well, especially with so much computer use in the workplace and at home. For all the work that they do, our arms and hands seldom get the time or skilled attention that they deserve.
In this class, we will focus on techniques for releasing the muscles and fascia of the hands, thumbs and forearms; increasing mobility in the corresponding joints; and 'deconstructing' forearm muscles that have become glued together. You will learn some simple but effective ways to make your arm massages more specific, potent and satisfying-- and receive some good work yourself.
During the exchange portion of the class, Brian will monitor the effectiveness of your Deep Tissue techniques, while Rebecca observes and coaches you on your body mechanics and the correct use of your hands.
What to Bring: Set of sheets, face cradle cover and pillow; wear loose clothing and women wear a bikini top or comfortable, but covering bra.
Class Date: March 30, 2019
Class Time: Saturday 10:00 am - 7:15pm
Location: Seattle -- Please click on the this link to go to the class description on the Therapeutic Training Center's website for the location detail.
Cost: $180 if registered by 3/22/19; $200 if registered after 3/22/19
Cost/Hour: $22.50/hr if registered by 3/22/19, $25.00/hr if registered after 3/22/19
CE Hours: 8
Reviewers Discount: If you have taken this class previously through the Therapeutic Training Center, you may review it at a 25% discount on tuition. The reviewer's price for this class is $135. If you are eligible for the reviewer's discount, please call 206.853.6875 to register or register by mail as the website only offers classes at the regular price.
Other Classes by Instructor:
- Assessment and Treatment of the Lumbosacral Ligaments & Deep Tissue for the Back: Both Days (Seattle January 12-13, 2019) - 12.5 hours Use this option to register for both classes and save $25 or, click on the class options of your choice below:
- Taxes and Tax Strategies for LMTs (Seattle February 10, 2019) - 8 hours
- Understanding the Somatic Nervous System and Proprioception & Evaluation & Treatment of Shoulder Injuries: Both Days (Seattle February 23-24, 2019) - 16 hours Use this option to register for both classes and save $30 or, click on the class options of your choice below:
- Muscle-Specific Deep Tissue Techniques for the Iliopsoas, Diaphragm & QL (Seattle March 6, 2019) - 4.5 hours
- Taxes and Tax Strategies for LMTs (Seattle March 16, 2019) - 8 hours
- Muscle-Specific Deep Tissue Techniques for the Legs/Hips & Intro to Visceral/Abdominal Massage: Both Classes (Post Falls March 23-24, 2019) - 16 hours Use this option to register for both classes and save $45 or, click on the class options of your choice below:
- Deep Tissue of the Neck & Assessment and Treatment of Neck Ligaments: Both Days (Seattle May 18-19, 2019) - 16 hours Use this option to register for both classes and save $45 or, click on the class options of your choice below:
- Introduction to Visceral and Abdominal Massage (Seattle June 8, 2019) - 8 hours
- Muscle-Specific Deep Tissue Techniques for the Legs & Hips (Seattle June 22, 2019) - 8 hours
For more information, and to register, please contact:
Therapeutic Training Center