Muscle-Specific Deep Tissue Techniques for the Posterior, Lateral and Anterior Neck with Brian Utting
Instructor: Brian Utting, LMT; NCBTMB #451040-09
It's rare to find massage therapists who really know how to massage the neck in a precise, specific way--especially around the small muscular attachments to the TVP's--even though this is often where the muscles are most frayed and/or inflamed. Learn specific, potent, and effective Deep Tissue techniques to release the posterior, lateral and anterior neck muscles. These include: cervical paraspinals, suboccipital
Instructor: Brian Utting, LMT; NCBTMB #451040-09
The neck is a strong, vulnerable and complex structure. It is the most movable part of the spine, and yet is strong enough to balance and support the head (10-11 pounds), even with chronically poor posture. Skillful deep tissue work in this area is not about brute force; it's about precision and strategy, informed by knowledge of the anatomical structures. It's rare to find massage therapists who really know how to massage the neck in a precise, specific way--especially around the small muscular attachments to the transverse processes--even though this is often where the muscles are most frayed and/or inflamed.
In the morning you will learn specific techniques for releasing the cervical posterior paraspinal muscles (longissimus, semispinalis capitis, multifidus), suboccipital triangle, levator scapula (especially the cervical attachments), facet joints, splenius capitus and cervicis, posterior, middle, and anterior scalenes, sternocleidomastoid, and masseter.
In the afternoon we will focus on deep muscle-specific techniques for the anterior neck. Many people learned in massage school to avoid this area, but it responds safely and well to skilled and precise touch. We will focus on the scalene, suprahyoid, infrahyoid, and longus capitus and colli groups. This is really helpful work for clients who have been in car accidents, have emotional issues with their necks or throats, or use their voices professionally (eg, singers).
These are straightforward, muscle-specific techniques that can be immediately applied in practice. The work is well-suited to either treating cervical injuries or improving your spa massage, and will increase your precision, palpatory sensitivity, and effectiveness. Body mechanics will also be a focus of the class as well as proper use of fingers to save wear and tear on joints.
What to Bring: Set of sheets, pillow or bolster, 2 washcloths; wear loose clothing
|What participants have said about this class:
- "I honestly learned more in your neck class than any other CE I've taken, and I've been at it almost 13 years." -Tracey B.
- "I love neck work, and this class took things to the next level." - Heather F.
Registration Options: We are offering these 2 classes of Brian Utting at a discounted group rate if you register for both classes at once, versus taking each individual class. If you would like to register for just one or both days, please click on the following links to register, otherwise continue on to register both classes. Please note that by taking the both classes, you save $45.
Class Dates: May 18, 2019
Class Times: Saturday 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Location: Seattle -- Please click on the this link to go to the class description on the Therapeutic Training Center's website for the location detail.
Cost: $170 if registered by 5/10/19; $190 if registered after 5/10/19
Cost/Hour: $21.25/hr if registered by 5/10/19; $23.75/hr if registered after 5/10/19
CE Hours: 8
Reviewers Discount: If you have taken this class previously through the Therapeutic Training Center, you may review it at a 25% discount on tuition. The reviewer's price for this class is $128. If you are eligible for the reviewer's discount, please call 206.853.6875 to register or register by mail as the website only offers classes at the regular price.
Other Classes by Instructor:
- Muscle-Specific Deep Tissue Techniques for the Iliopsoas, Diaphragm & QL (Seattle March 6, 2019) - 4.5 hours
- Hydrotherapy Principles, Physiology and Immersions at Banya5 (Seattle March 9, 2019) - 8 hours
- Taxes and Tax Strategies for LMTs (Seattle March 16, 2019) - 8 hours
- Muscle-Specific Deep Tissue Techniques for the Legs/Hips & Intro to Visceral/Abdominal Massage: Both Classes (Post Falls March 23-24, 2019) - 16 hours Use this option to register for both classes and save $45 or, click on the class options of your choice below:
- Self-Care and Deep Tissue Techniques for the Hands, Wrists & Forearms (Seattle March 30, 2019) - 8 hours co-taught with Rebecca Norton, OT/LMT/CHT
- Muscle-Specific Deep Tissue Techniques for the Chest; Sidelying Shoulders & Back (Seattle June 8, 2019) - 8 hours
- Bindegewebsmassage: Connective Tissue Massage (Seattle June 22, 2019) - 8 hours
- Intro to Visceral/Abdominal Massage & Muscle-Specific Deep Tissue Techniques for Legs/Hips: Both Days (Seattle July 20-21 2019) - 16 hours Use this option to register for both classes and save $45 or, click on the class options of your choice below:
- Evaluation and Treatment of Shoulder Injuries (Seattle September 14, 2019) - 8 hours
For more information, or to register, please contact:
Therapeutic Training Center