(Live Webinar) Hands-on Self Massage Using Hands and Tools with Barbara Helynn Heard
Instructor: Barbara Helynn Heard, LMT; NCBTMB #1056
Learn to massage yourself to relieve common aches and pains such as headaches and/or stiff or painful joints - neck, back, shoulders, elbows, hips, knees or ankles. Learn strokes done with your hands, elbows, and feet, as well as techniques done with balls, sticks, and common household items. Explore using both movement and breath to increase body awareness and support wellness. Learn self-care techniques to teach your clients.
Special Note: This class qualifies as 4 of the 8 hours of *direct supervised massage skills training". Due to our COVID-19 conditions, the Washington State Department of Health has agreed to permit this 4-hour live webinar of a selfcare hands-on technique class to count toward the 8 hours of "direct supervised massage skills" training. To facilitate direct supervision, class size will be limited to 6 students per session and all attendees must participate with video through the class. Also, please know that if you take this class twice in the same CE reporting period only the credit for one class can be used to renew your license (WAC 246-12-240).
Class Format: This class is a live webinar. To break up the day to help keep your interest levels up and so you do not burn out from being on zoom for 4 hours, we will begin with 2 hours of live webinar class, break for a 1-hour lunch offline and then return for another two hours of class via live webinar.
Computer/Camera Setup: This is a class that involves movement while standing, sitting and lying down. Please have your computer placed in an area that you can see the screen in these different positions and such that the teacher can see you on the screen. Please have a chair nearby and have a yoga mat, camping mat or blanket available for lying down on if you do not have a carpeted floor. If you have a bright light source, especially a window, near your computer, please make sure that the light is behind your computer, and not behind you.
What to Wear: Please wear comfortable clothes to move in.
Needed Supplies: If you do not have the exact item, find something similar and have it ready to use.
- access to several different kinds of music and/or spoken recordings to use as background during part of class. (Your own music collection, recorded books or lectures, radio without advertisements, etc.)
- tennis ball -- if you do not have a tennis ball then consider a rubber ball, soft ball, golf ball etc. A tennis ball is best, please get one if possible.
- cotton or wool sock filled with about a cup of small pebbles, marbles or dried beans (larger beans are better than smaller ones) tied securely into it
- cotton or wool sock or rag tied into a knot/ball about the size of a tennis ball
- one or more stones about the size of your fist
- a couple wooden cooking utensils (spoon, spatula, salad serving utensils, etc)
- a wooden rolling pin 12-24 inches long or a piece of doweling (or stick) with 2-3 inch diameter 12-24 inches long
- a broom handle or something similar, about 3-4.5 feet long
- a couple of cotton hand towels
- a mix of 5-10 objects made from dense/hard natural materials which you can easily hold in your hand. Examples: shells, stones, wooden carving, ceramic objects, cork, nuts with the shell attached, metal object, glass object (that won't shatter), small metal box, metal silverware
- a couple of objects made from synthetic material which you can easily hold in your hands. Examples: plastic cooking spoon, plastic hair brush, pill bottle (that won't easily shatter), deodorant container.
- a wooden pencil and a plastic pen
- any hand held massage tools that you already own
- a roll of toilet paper
- a long scarf (about 60") made of natural fibers (wool, rayon, cotton, etc. - but not silk as it is too flimsy) and/or a similar piece of fabric
- optional: a cotton pillow case - the longer the better
- paper and pen/pencil for note taking
Class Date: November 11, 2020
Class Time: Wednesday 10:30 am - 3:30 pm with a 1-hour lunch offline from 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm
Location: Live Webinar -- Please click on the this link to go to the class description on the Therapeutic Training Center's website for the Live Webinar details.
CE Hours: 4
Other Classes by Instructor:
For more information, or to register, please contact:
Therapeutic Training Center