Instructor: Lavon Watson, LMT (Retired) and Marybeth Berney, LMT
The rules around massage in Washington State have changed, and more than ever you need to make sure you know the updates on draping, breast massage, record keeping, etc. Some of these changes are due to the nature of complaints filed against massage therapists here in our state on these very issues. How do we work with our client’s in an environment that’s not only changing but that also sees an increasing number of complaints being filed with the Department of Health against us? And, the Department of Health is not our only area of concern, there are civil and even criminal risks for us and even risks with insurance carriers wanting refunds because of fraudulent practices.
Meanwhile, have you heard of the Meehan Bill? This bill, if it becomes law, which it likely will, will require massage therapists and business owners to notify law enforcement of suspected sexual misconduct all across the US and even post polices on these issues in their businesses. Why is this even being considered and what will this mean for my massage practice if it does become law?
This class, which also meets the Washington State requirements for ethics, including roles and boundaries, is like ethics on steroids and takes an in-depth and candid look at these changes and prepares you for what lies ahead.
Your Instructors bring unique experience in teaching this class:
- Marybeth Berney, LMT has served as an expert witness in civil lawsuits involving massage therapists, and has worked for the Department of Health on cases to help determine the legitimacy of complaints brought against massage therapists.
- Lavon Watson, LMT (Retired) has been a massage therapist since 1997 and is a former police investigator who understands the ins and outs of the criminal justice system.
|What participants have said about this class:
- "Very excellent class chalk full of great valuable information" -- Leah W.
- "Very effective & useful class. Learned more than expected." -- Karma R.
- "The aspects of the class that I liked best was the sections on RCW/WAC/UDA,informed consent definition & what to expect from a complaint." -- Michele S.
Items Needed: Yourself, your questions, your experiences, your pen!
Class Date: February 13, 2021
Class Times: Saturday 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Location: Live Webinar -- Please click on the this link to go to the class description on the Therapeutic Training Center's website for the Live Webinar details.
CE Hours: 4