Instructor: Barbara Helynn Heard, LMT; NCBTMB #1056
In this class participants will learn to massage the ribcage, chest and breasts in ways which can easily be integrated into a holistic, full body massage session. The intent of this massage is to relieve tension, stress and pain, and to increase the recipient’s ease of movement in both the upper and lower body. This work consistently helps the recipient feel and connect with their whole body in a wonderful way that many people rarely experience.
Class participants will also learn how full chest and breast massage can benefit recipients living with breast cancer, breast augmentation, breast reduction, mastectomy, fibrocystic breast tissue, and other non-cancerous breast conditions. Emphasis is placed on making our touch safe, pleasant, sexually neutral, and effective for both female and male clients. In most of the techniques, pressure is directed to the muscles and ribs located deep to the mammary glands located within breast tissue. The massage is applied with soft yet firm hands, in a manner consistent with the treatment focused lomilomi in which the instructor specializes.
More than half the class is devoted to hands on massage practice. Students will learn massage techniques which are done with the chest draped and other techniques which are done bare chested/breasted for both men and women. The balance of class time consists of discussion of issues specific to breast massage including anatomy, physiology, pathology, indications/contraindications, expected outcomes, client/therapist boundaries and safety, and legal draping, consent and record keeping requirements.
Building community is a significant element of Barbara Helynn’s teaching style. Drawing on her lomilomi background, she intentionally sets the stage for experiences that encourage connection between students in class, and she highlights the connection between body, mind and spirit, as well as the connections between people, nature and Spirit.
All participants are invited, and encouraged, to bring a bag lunch both days so we can eat together in the hotel dining area. This allow us to share ideas and stories about our life and our work in an informal and friendly manner. A cooler will be available to store lunches, but there isn't a microwave.
This course meets Washington State training requirements in WAC 246-830-555 for specialized training in breast massage.
SPECIAL CLASSROOM POLICIES FOR THIS CLASS -- By registering, each Attendee agrees to the following policies:
- Attendee must be a licensed massage therapist in any US State with an official massage licensing board, or a healthcare professional with breast massage in their scope of practice. If a massage therapist practices in a state without massage licensing, permission from the instructor is required.
- Attendee must be present for all class hours, including all lecture and technique demonstrations.
- Attendee understands that full chest and breast areas on both women and men will be treated within this class, and that the full chest and breast will be undraped for much of the treatment. Attendee understands that the nipples and areolas will be touched during some of the treatment sequences as a general part of the breast.
- Attendee is expected to both give and receive all techniques with fellow students, both male and female.
- Attendee agrees to adhere to professional standards and ethics both during the course, as well as when working with the public in a clinical/office setting.
- In order to receive their Course Completion Certificate, each Attendee agrees to the these policies for this course. Any Attendee who does not adhere to the course rules will be immediately asked to leave the course and will receive neither course credit nor tuition refund.
What to Bring: Set of sheets, face cradle cover, 2 hand towels, pillow and bag lunch; wear loose clothing.
Class Date: August 3-4, 2019
Class Time: Saturday & Sunday 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Location: Seattle -- Please click on the this link to go to the class description on the Therapeutic Training Center's website for the location detail.
Cost: $295 if registered by 7/26/19; $325 if registered after 7/26/19
Cost/Hour: $18.44/hr if registered by 7/26/19; $20.31/hr after 7/26/19
CE Hours: 16
Reviewers Discount: If you have taken this class previously through the Therapeutic Training Center, you may review it at a 25% discount on tuition. The reviewer's price for this class is $221. If you are eligible for the reviewer's discount, please call 206.853.6875 to register or register by mail as the website only offers classes at the regular price.
Other Classes by Instructor: