Assessment and Treatment of the Neck Ligaments with Brian Utting
Instructor: Brian Utting, LMT; NCBTMB #451040-09
The neck is one of the most common areas of client complaint, injury and dysfunction, and it can be a challenging area to treat effectively. Injured or irritated neck ligaments can be particularly vexing; besides causing deep pain, they can provoke a guarding response in the nearby muscles, causing additional pain, tension, and limitation of movement.
In this class we will explore the deeper terrain of the neck, concentrating on the key ligamentous and related muscular and fascial structures that, when injured, often create chronic neck pain and tension. The cervical ligaments are every bit as important as the muscles, bones, and fascia, but are often overlooked by massage therapists, chiropractors and physical therapists.
You will learn assessment and palpation skills that will help you to identify the ligamentous structures that need treatment, make sure it is appropriate to do so, and treat the injured structures. A primary focus of this class is to help you refine your accuracy in both palpation and treatment, and to help you develop more confidence, specificity and thoroughness in your neck assessment and treatment. Clients notice the difference right away when they feel you touch the "right spots", and their chronic pain and tension begins to dissolve from the inside out.
What to Bring: Set of sheets; pillow or bolster; 2 washcloths; gelpack that can fit around your neck and a pillow case for the gelpak; 6 colored pencils or highlighters (no pens); wear loose clothing
|What participants have said about this class:
- "This was one of the most informative classes I've taken in a long time. The material is very useful for my clinical practice." - Sabrina S.
- "I think more than any other technique or series of movements I've incorporated, this neck work has had the most consistent and specific effects. Every person who has received the work has said they've felt lengthened, their neck felt freed and that they slept very soundly that night, often feeling very relaxed the next couple of days. Thank you!" - Dawn G.
Registration Options: We are offering these 2 classes of Brian Utting at a discounted group rate if you register for both classes at once, versus taking each individual class. If you would like to register for just one or both days, please click on the following links to register, otherwise continue on to register both classes. Please note that by taking the both classes, you save $45.
Class Date: May 19, 2019
Class Time: Sunday 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Location: Seattle -- Please click on the this link to go to the class description on the Therapeutic Training Center's website for the location detail.
Cost: $170 if registered by 5/10/19; $190 if registered after 5/10/19
Cost/Hour: $21.25/hr if registered by 5/10/19; $23.75/hr if registered after 5/10/19
CE Hours: 8
Reviewers Discount: If you have taken this class previously through the Therapeutic Training Center, you may review it at a 25% discount on tuition. The reviewer's price for this class is $128. If you are eligible for the reviewer's discount, please call 206.853.6875 to register or register by mail as the website only offers classes at the regular price.
Other Classes by Instructor:
- Muscle-Specific Deep Tissue Techniques for the Iliopsoas, Diaphragm & QL (Seattle March 6, 2019) - 4.5 hours
- Hydrotherapy Principles, Physiology and Immersions at Banya5 (Seattle March 9, 2019) - 8 hours
- Taxes and Tax Strategies for LMTs (Seattle March 16, 2019) - 8 hours
- Muscle-Specific Deep Tissue Techniques for the Legs/Hips & Intro to Visceral/Abdominal Massage: Both Classes (Post Falls March 23-24, 2019) - 16 hours Use this option to register for both classes and save $45 or, click on the class options of your choice below:
- Self-Care and Deep Tissue Techniques for the Hands, Wrists & Forearms (Seattle March 30, 2019) - 8 hours co-taught with Rebecca Norton, OT/LMT/CHT
- Muscle-Specific Deep Tissue Techniques for the Chest; Sidelying Shoulders & Back (Seattle June 8, 2019) - 8 hours
- Bindegewebsmassage: Connective Tissue Massage (Seattle June 22, 2019) - 8 hours
- Intro to Visceral/Abdominal Massage & Muscle-Specific Deep Tissue Techniques for Legs/Hips: Both Days (Seattle July 20-21 2019) - 16 hours Use this option to register for both classes and save $45 or, click on the class options of your choice below:
- Evaluation and Treatment of Shoulder Injuries (Seattle September 14, 2019) - 8 hours
For more information, or to register, please contact:
Therapeutic Training Center