Instructor: Brian Utting, LMT; NCBTMB #451040-09
The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that more than a million workers suffer back injuries in a year, and that they account for about 20% of the total work-related injuries. Back pain can be debilitating for many people, and even when it's just a nuisance, it can significantly impact their fundamental quality of life. Massage can often be a helpful tool in the recovery and rehabilitation process, but unfortunately, it is all too common for clients to receive massage that has a minimal impact on the source of their pain and discomfort.
One of the elements commonly missing when working with back injuries is a better understanding of, and ability to specifically palpate, the terrain of the low back and sacrum, particularly connective tissue structures like the various supporting ligaments. These ligaments are every bit as important as the muscles, bones, and fascia, but are often overlooked by massage therapists, chiropractors, and physical therapists.
In this class, you will learn to palpate and treat some of the most commonly injured ligaments in the low back and pelvis, including the iliolumbar, intertransverse, sacroiliac, sacrotuberous, supraspinous, and interspinous ligaments, as well as a few key postural muscles. Clients notice the difference right away when they feel you touch the "right spots", and their chronic pain and tension begins to dissolve from the inside out.
What to Bring: Set of sheets, face cradle cover, bolster, gelpak, pillowcase, 2 washcloths, 6 colored pencils or highlighters (no pens); wear loose clothing. For PPE, bring 2 facemasks (disposable surgical mask or N95/KN95 respirator – only one should be required per day, the extra is back-up), eye protection and clothing protection (apron, smock or 2 sets of scrubs) are required. For information on PPE items and preparing for class, please click HERE.
Travel Restriction: At this time, anyone who is attending classes must reside in Washington, Oregon and Idaho. Anyone traveling from outside of these states must self-isolate themselves locally for 14 days prior to class if they want to attend. We apologize, but this is a Governor issued requirement while counties are in Phase 2 of Washington's Safe Start program. We will remove this restriction when we are allowed to.
|What participants have said about this class:
- "I found this class extremely informative; it's something my own body needed, and I hadn't been able to pinpoint it." - Sabrina B.
- "This class was taught by experienced instructors who had really thought through the progression of the class--the content made sense and flowed well, lending itself to really retaining the knowledge." - Meredith C.
- "Brian's teachings are intelligent, precise and effective. After receiving the work yesterday, my back feels more fluid and happy, and during the treatment, I went to that deep place of relaxation where drool happens." - Jen E.
Registration Options: We are offering these 2 classes of Brian Utting at a discounted group rate if you register for both classes at once, versus taking each individual class. If you would like to register for just one or both days, please click on the following links to register, otherwise continue on to register both classes. Please note that by taking the both classes, you save $25.
Class Dates: October 18, 2020
Class Times: Sunday 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Location: Seattle -- Please click on the this link to go to the class description on the Therapeutic Training Center's website for the location detail.
CE Hours: 8
Reviewers Discount: If you have taken this class previously through the Therapeutic Training Center, you may review it at a 25% discount on tuition. The reviewer's price for this class is $128. If you are eligible for the reviewer's discount, please call 206.853.6875 to register or register by mail as the website only offers classes at the regular price.
Other Classes by Instructor:
- The Neuroendocrine System, Stress, and Massage & Connective Tissue Massage: Both Days (Seattle September 19-20, 2020) - 16 hours Use this option to register for both classes and save $30 or, click on the class options of your choice below:
- Muscle-Specific Deep Tissue Techniques for the Iliopsoas, Diaphragm & QL (Seattle October 28, 2020) - 4.5 hours
- Introduction to Visceral and Abdominal Massage (Seattle November 7, 2020) - 8 hours
- Muscle-Specific Deep Tissue Techniques for the Legs & Hips (Seattle November 21, 2020) - 8 hours
- Muscle-Specific Deep Tissue Techniques for the Posterior, Lateral and Anterior Neck (Seattle December 12, 2020) - 8 hours